Hygiene refers to the practice and conditions that help to maintain health and prevent the spread of diseases.
In our article what are hygiene services? we establish some of the various types of hygiene services including medical hygiene, food contamination hygiene and more. In this article we specifically look at medical hygiene and why it is so important.
According to the WHO (World Health Organisation) medical hygiene refers to the specific practice of hygiene in order to preserve health and prevent the spread of disease, for example the sterilisation of equipment, safe disposal of medical waste, hand hygiene and water sanitation. Hygiene services in a medical environment will include the following:
1. Continuous optimal washroom facilities – This includes the regular cleaning of washrooms, emptying of bins, restocking of towelling and soaps.
2. Hand sanitizers and sterilizers at various points of the medical facility – These should be available when entering each ward or room, at the entrance to the hospital and outside theatres.
3. Safe medical waste disposal – this includes the supplying of containers for medical waste in theatres, wards and clinics as well as the regular emptying and maintaining of these containers. They are usually extremely hazardous and have to be disposed of in the correct, law abiding manner.
4. Continuous optimal cleaning of rooms and wards – hospitals unfortunately are a breeding ground for harsh and violent viruses. It is therefore of utmost importance to keep these in check by regular sterilising of rooms, wards and bathroom facilities with a reliable hygiene services company.
5. Disinfection of re-usables – For example this includes bed linen, uniforms, gowns and towels. These need to be washed and sterilised after each use and it is important to use a hygiene services company that uses the correct procedure for this.
6. Correct training of all medical waste removal staff – this is vitally important as the safe and effective removal of medical waste is dependent on correctly trained personnel to do this. They need to have the proper training, protective wear and equipment to remove medical waste successfully.
As can be seen above, a medical hygiene service company needs specific skills and experience in order to deliver a reliable service. The lives of many are at stake if this is not done correctly and therefore it is vitally important to choose the right hygiene services company.
If you are looking for a reliable hygiene services company, be sure to contact our Elite Cleaning Service team today. We are experienced in all types of hygiene service solutions.